Schnauzer Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back pain?

5 posters

Go down

Back pain? Empty Back pain?

Post  Jeff$ery Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:08 am

Hello, my 7-year old female Schnauzer, Bobbi, sometimes will walk along and then very quickly sit down. She will do this periodically and sometimes cannot lay down for very long until she has to sit up. Oddly, sometimes when I pet her on her back, just below her neck, she has some sort of reaction and, it seems, involuntarily scratches herself with her back paw. This type of behavior doesn't happen often but when it does, she isn't as active as she normally is.

I haven't a clue what is going on and am looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff$ery

Back to top Go down

Back pain? Empty Re: Back pain?

Post  MsBritmor Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog, Jeff. This issue could be caused by anything "off" structurally in her body, but the first place to check would be her spinal area. She really needs to be seen by a veterinary chiropractor as she may need an adjustment. We have two that we use, and the closest one to us is also holistic. Our other one is probably more "talented", but she is a lot more expensive, along with being about three times further away.

There ARE chiropractors who are not veterinarians, but a veterinary chiropractor is the best of both worlds because they can deal with the entire dog. A human chiropractor should not be used unless he/she has been trained to work with animals as there IS a difference between the 2-legged and 4-legged structure.

Clues to notice that something is not right with one's dog:

• The dog should do full body stretches, front and rear.
  • The dog should do full yawns.
  • When the dog shakes, it should start at the head and go all the way down through the tail; partial shakes are a sign of a problem.
  • The dog should be able to turn its head and touch its side (both left and right) with its nose.

I have heard of uncropped ears going up during teething, and coming back down after an adjustment. "Crooked" heads and tails off to the side (from the base) may also be indicative of a problem.

Search for AVCA Certified Doctor
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Back pain? Empty Found the problem!

Post  Jeff$ery Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:17 am

It seems the poor little thing got bit by a dog and I didn't know it. She had an infection that was causing her to itch. The vet gave me some antibiotics for the infection and she said to give the pooch some Benadryl for the itching. The vet also gave her a shot of penicillin.

Jeff Very Happy

Jeff$ery

Back to top Go down

Post  SchnauzkyLVR Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:43 pm

aw, poor doggie. That doesn't sound good. I hope she'll be fine after getting checked out...sounds like some problem that is originating in her spine though. good luck and keep us posted on how she is doing.!
SchnauzkyLVR
SchnauzkyLVR

Back to top Go down

Post  admin Tue May 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Back pain (also known as dorsalgia) is pain felt in the back that usually originates from the muscles, nerves, bones, joints or other structures in the spine.
The pain can often be divided into neck pain, upper back pain, lower back pain or tailbone pain. It may have a sudden onset or can be a chronic pain; it can be constant or intermittent, stay in one place or radiate to other areas. It may be a dull ache, or a sharp or piercing or burning sensation. The pain may radiate into the arm and hand), in the upper back, or in the low back, (and might radiate into the leg or foot), and may include symptoms other than pain, such as weakness, numbness or tingling.

Thanks,

jeffrey campbell shoes

naughty monkey shoes

admin

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutourdogs Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:04 am

Did you go to the vet already? You should have him examined and have diagnostics test such as x-rays to know if any abnormality.
allaboutourdogs
allaboutourdogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down