Schnauzer Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shows and bitches with puppies

+5
Heathkeepers
RaggaGisla
des matins de cristal
Jo
AnnaD
9 posters

Go down

Shows and bitches with puppies Empty Shows and bitches with puppies

Post  AnnaD Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:34 pm

I am keen on knowing the rules in your country for the time that has to be gone after whelping to show the bitch.

Is it alright to show bitch if the puppies are still with the mother or is alright when the puppies are 8 weeks old.
AnnaD
AnnaD

Back to top Go down

Shows and bitches with puppies Empty Re: Shows and bitches with puppies

Post  Jo Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:21 pm

I don't think we have any rule to stop you showing a bitch who has had pups.

I would rarther let the bitch wean the litter and get over the raising and looking her best again before thinking about showing her again.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  des matins de cristal Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:32 pm

In france we can't show bitch who's waiting babys and all the time she gave milk to them !
yesturday i was on show with an Ireland judge, we saw a female of 3 years old, babys borned in august the last year, it was a teriifical vision Sad Sad Sad ! the dog was so skinny all people around the ring was shocked ! she wasn't walk as she would be as she was tired ! (it wasn't a schnauzer ...) the jugde made his work but we saw he was confused about it ...
For me this dog would have " no qualify" it wasen't in good form to be jugded ....
des matins de cristal
des matins de cristal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:35 pm

If the pups were born in august, surely she would have been back in good condition by now? No reason she should be skiny Sad
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaD Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:50 pm

In august it should be alright then the pup is already 6 months. But if she is not fed properly during weaning she will suffer for a long time.

My first liltter was in september 2008 only 1 puppy though but the bitch was in good condition in Desember and now she is fantastic looking. But for the bitch that are with puppies now, 5 puppies she will take a long time to recover she is very feminine and she is so skinny even though she is fed 3 times a day and she is on BARF. Her strength is good though and she can go for run on her phapse of course for about 1 hour. But for shows I will be happy if she is in good state in the autum.

I think it is many factors that play a role for their recovering aftir whelping. But is is alwasy sad when the bitches are still weaning the pups or do suffer from los and still they are put up for shows.
AnnaD
AnnaD

Back to top Go down

Post  RaggaGisla Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:28 pm

I think it is up to you if you want to show you female after 8 weeks of whelping. If you think that she is in good condition than I don´t see the problem.

Some bitches recover well after puppies (1-5) while others take a longer time to get in to shape.
RaggaGisla
RaggaGisla

Back to top Go down

Post  Heathkeepers Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Here is one great recover. My female FIN CH Imbrez Hot Why Not "Iida" won BOB at Kokkola International Show 2007 under judge George Kostopoulos. She whelped a litter of 7 puppies only 4 months before this show, and nursed the litter at least 6 weeks. You can see nipples hanging under underline, but it didn't matter at the show. Wink It was her third and last litter.

Shows and bitches with puppies Omat_iida_01
Shows and bitches with puppies Galleria_24

(P.S. BOS was beautiful male Multi CH Lamigras Black Top Secret)
Heathkeepers
Heathkeepers

Back to top Go down

Post  PiedPiper Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:56 pm

In Norway a bitch cannot be shown if she 1 - is more than 6 weeks pregnant, or 2 - has puppies under 8 weeks old.
PiedPiper
PiedPiper

Back to top Go down

Post  jellun Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:11 am

I think in Germany we shouldnt show pregnant or feeding bitches.

But I guess its all depending on female. My black lady was looking her best after 6 weeks puppies -very fit and in good sportiv mood.
And my white girl needed over 1 year to reduce over-weight she gained. She is like women after kid is born - going very fat with hanging tits...
I am dreaming to have skinny mother-dog... Cool
jellun
jellun

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:37 pm

I one´s showed my white female SUCH ISCH Dynamic Dolce Vita of Roxy´s Pride 8 weeks and few days after litter of two pups, she was BOS and got CAC and CACIB so I dont see anything wrong with this if the female is in shape. Smile

Esther

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Aren't you concerned about bringing home some disease that was picked up at the show? Even something like kennel cough can cause problems for young pups
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Jo wrote:Aren't you concerned about bringing home some disease that was picked up at the show? Even something like kennel cough can cause problems for young pups

Yes, if I have young pups in my home while I go to shows I always try to sterilise or disinfect the dogs before coming home. Kennel cough is not found in dogs in Iceland but Pavro and other disease are, so you cant be to careful.

Esther

Back to top Go down

Post  jellun Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Jo wrote:Aren't you concerned about bringing home some disease that was picked up at the show? Even something like kennel cough can cause problems for young pups

I have also other dogs visiting shows....We cant protect puppies 100% from everything anyway.
Till now I had only twice infections after show and we saw sick dog before in ring, so we knew what to expect.
jellun
jellun

Back to top Go down

Post  gudgud Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 pm

Esther wrote:

Yes, if I have young pups in my home while I go to shows I always try to sterilise or disinfect the dogs before coming home. Kennel cough is not found in dogs in Iceland but Pavro and other disease are, so you cant be to careful.

That is not quite true, Kennel cough is found in Iceland and has been known to be transmitted at our dog shows. My dog caught Kennel cough and needed treatment last year.

Guðbjörg

gudgud

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down