Schnauzer Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breeding up two female puppies at the same time ?

+2
Frostmourne
Lawyer
6 posters

Go down

Breeding up two female puppies at the same time ? Empty Breeding up two female puppies at the same time ?

Post  Lawyer Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:01 pm

Dear schnauzer lovers....

This is my first post at this web side. I had a poper salt mini schnauzer few years ago who died after several years. Now me and my familly are moving to our new house with a huge garden and we intend to buy a female puppy(s), black and white.

I have been dreaming for a long time having for two mini schnauzers and to breed them up later on because me and my whole familiy really, really like snaucers.

I would like to ask you who have experience with growing up two puppies from the same time about your experience. OK, to be more clear, I would like to know what you recommend me; should I buy one female first and the second a bit later on or is better to buy them at a the same time in order they get used on each other from the early begining...and consequently that they get along very well afterwards when they grow up.

I know that female and male usually get along much better as two dogs of the same sex, but...

However, your experences are really, really Smile apreciated...

Regards, M

Lawyer

Back to top Go down

Breeding up two female puppies at the same time ? Empty Re: Breeding up two female puppies at the same time ?

Post  Frostmourne Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi and welcome in this forum !

I think it's better if you take the puppies together, so they can grow up like sisters.
It's not difficult to breed 2 puppies together, they don't get bored, they can play not only with people , and there will be no problem if they will remain alone at home.
Many people who have taked puppies from my Kennel, they have taked 2 puppies together . And now people and dogs are happy. Someone have taked 2 males together and someone 2 females.
I want to tell you, from my experience, more of 30 years with dogs, if you have decided to take 2 Mini Schnauzers , it's better if you will take both them together. Because if you take before one puppy and than after 1,2,3 years or more you will take another puppy, the first one could be jealous of the second one.

If you will have more questions, I will be happy to answer to you.

Greetings,
Merylisa - FROSTMOURNE Kennel, Miniature Schnauzer black and silver.
www.frostmourne.it
Frostmourne
Frostmourne

Back to top Go down

Breeding up two female puppies at the same time ? Empty Re: Breeding up two female puppies at the same time ?

Post  Lawyer Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Thank you for your reply. I really apreciate your answer.

Let me also to ask you and other breeders how many dogs do they have usually? 2, 3 or even more?

Lawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:25 am

My opinion is exactly the opposite. Buy one puppy, train it into the dog of your dreams, and then about a year later, bring in that second puppy and the first one will help to train the second. Two dogs from the same litter will bond too much with each other, and not as much with the people, and when one is lost, the second will grieve too much. It is also harder to housebreak two puppies at the same time than it is to do one, as two puppies are running everywhere and are harder to watch.

If you are interested in breeding, you really want two dogs with similar pedigrees, but not that closely related. Carefully chosen line-bred dogs will produce the best offspring.
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawyer Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:57 pm

OK,

Thank you for your view as well. Actually today I was advised not to start with two from the same time..., it should be better to breed up one first, and then the second one...

Thanks to all of you for your viewpoints...

Lawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:41 am

I think you mean raise, not breed up? Or are you planning to have a litter from one (breed)?
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lawyer Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 am

Yes, you are right - firs raising them up and then later on perhpas breeding.

Reg

Lawyer

Back to top Go down

Post  blacknwhite Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:40 pm

MsBritmor wrote:My opinion is exactly the opposite. Buy one puppy, train it into the dog of your dreams, and then about a year later, bring in that second puppy and the first one will help to train the second. Two dogs from the same litter will bond too much with each other, and not as much with the people, and when one is lost, the second will grieve too much. It is also harder to housebreak two puppies at the same time than it is to do one, as two puppies are running everywhere and are harder to watch.

If you are interested in breeding, you really want two dogs with similar pedigrees, but not that closely related. Carefully chosen line-bred dogs will produce the best offspring.
I agree alot with MsBritmor, last year I had two pups at the same time and it was very hard work. It's not something I would normally do in a hurry again however due to things beyond my control, the opportunity presenting itself and breeding i like i am infact about to have two pups, 2 weeks apart in age to bring up. I know I must spend a great deal of time with these puppies individually to make sure the bond is with me and they enjoy showing with me and dont become inseperable!
blacknwhite
blacknwhite

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutourdogs Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:24 pm

I only have 1 male miniature schnauzer dog with my other dogs (shih tzu and golden). Luckily, they are doing good with each other.

Based on my previous study (before i got a schnauzer), miniature schnauzers are very energetic, playful and happy. They tend to be quite feisty and will pick a fight with any other dog, even those quite larger than themselves. Most of the time they do not intend to fight, only to challenge. However, their attitude can get them into trouble.

When raised with other canines they can be quite amiable but newcomers will be met with reserve until they are ready to accept them. Socialization with a variety of dogs and people when they are young will help minimize the feistiness of the dog.

allaboutourdogs
allaboutourdogs

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutourdogs Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Oh by the way, if you have decided to get two :)miniature schnauzer dogs in separate time, i suggest this tip. this is what i did to my other dogs that's why they got well easier. Go to a park and let the present and new dog meet there first. Let them play for 3 days to 1 week so that they'll develop this bonding. In that way, the present/old dog won't feel that his/her territory is being invaded with the new dog. Good luck!
allaboutourdogs
allaboutourdogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:13 pm

allaboutourdogs wrote:Oh by the way, if you have decided to get two :)miniature schnauzer dogs in separate time, i suggest this tip. this is what i did to my other dogs that's why they got well easier. Go to a park and let the present and new dog meet there first. Let them play for 3 days to 1 week so that they'll develop this bonding. In that way, the present/old dog won't feel that his/her territory is being invaded with the new dog. Good luck!

Not a great idea when the puppy will NOT have had the puppy vaccination course!!
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down