Schnauzer Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want my MS hand stripped, but he's been clipped previously

+4
SchnauzkyLVR
Margit349
MsBritmor
ChevyJen
8 posters

Go down

I want my MS hand stripped, but he's been clipped previously Empty I want my MS hand stripped, but he's been clipped previously

Post  ChevyJen Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:34 pm

I want to start having my Scruffy stripped, he's loosing color and doesn't look as nice as I'd like it too. The thing is, before my ex-husband gave him back to me.. Chevy was gettin clipped 2-3 times a year. Is it to late to start stripping him? Will the top coat even grow in harsh anymore? Plus, no one around here does stripping that I can find so I'd have to do it myself, I have watched videos on it and I wouldn't use a stripping knife unless someone showed me the proper usage of one. We have a furminator, but it does not work well in his coat at all, would a regular rake work better? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

~Jenni and Chevy

P.S. Its been a good month since he was last clipped. I got him back after 19 months just after Christmas

ChevyJen

Back to top Go down

I want my MS hand stripped, but he's been clipped previously Empty Re: I want my MS hand stripped, but he's been clipped previously

Post  MsBritmor Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Where do you live, ChevyJen? It is possible that a show person in schnauzers or hard-coated terriers lives near you. If we knew your location, we could direct you.

In the meantime, take a look at my webpages, where I have directions on clipping, stripping, and rolling coats. Grooming a schnauzer really requires thorough reading of all those pages and combining that information.

Yes, a clippered dog can be brought into a hard(er) coat, but in most instances, it will take time as that first coat usually isn't too good. I have done this in a couple of my own dogs and assisted in a couple others, and they most likely will not be the first. If you read my page on rolling coats, you will see how I started reclaiming Ace's natural coat by taking a grooming stone to him while he was shampooed in the tub.
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

I want my MS hand stripped, but he's been clipped previously Empty Re: I want my MS hand stripped, but he's been clipped previously

Post  ChevyJen Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:43 pm

We live in Sioux Falls, SD. I was looking at your page, but since I'm at work I was only able to skim through it. I will read and take notes this evening when I get home! Thank you!

ChevyJen

Back to top Go down

Post  Margit349 Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi Karen.

This is really intressting ... please speak more about it ...

I also stripping my Male in the Moment to become even better Hair for this Year for Show.

A grooming stone while dog is shampooed und der Shower? How you use the stone?

And after working with grooming stone, as you continue to do?

Best Regards
Margit

PS: It is always very intressting to listen to you !!! thank you thank you

MsBritmor wrote:Where do you live, ChevyJen? It is possible that a show person in schnauzers or hard-coated terriers lives near you. If we knew your location, we could direct you.

In the meantime, take a look at my webpages, where I have directions on clipping, stripping, and rolling coats. Grooming a schnauzer really requires thorough reading of all those pages and combining that information.

Yes, a clippered dog can be brought into a hard(er) coat, but in most instances, it will take time as that first coat usually isn't too good. I have done this in a couple of my own dogs and assisted in a couple others, and they most likely will not be the first. If you read my page on rolling coats, you will see how I started reclaiming Ace's natural coat by taking a grooming stone to him while he was shampooed in the tub.
Margit349
Margit349

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Margit349 wrote:Hi Karen.
A grooming stone while dog is shampooed und der Shower? How you use the stone?

And after working with grooming stone, as you continue to do?

I go into more detail on my page on Rolling a Coat, but, basically, the stone is used the same way as one does when the coat is dry. Hold the skin taut and stone the coat while the dog is shampooed. Less pressure is used where the hair is shorter to avoid injuring the skin; more pressure can be used where the hair is longer and thicker. Shampoo, stone, rinse; shampoo, stone, rinse. One needs a VERY GOOD strainer in the drain to avoid clogging! Coat must be dried and brushed well to straighten it out if it is longer, but while it is still damp, I rake through the coat some more with a stripping knife, if the coat is long enough. I call this my "wet-raking technique".

This is really intended for coats that are to be rolled, but will work on stage-stripped coats to get rid of that quick-growing undercoat that initially tries to take over the hard hair.
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:38 pm

ChevyJen wrote:We live in Sioux Falls, SD.

Sorry, but the best I can do for you is to send you to the webpage of your local kennel club. http://www.siouxempirekennelclub.com/ Contact them and they can tell you if there are any members with hard-coated terriers in the club who might be willing to help you out. The closest schnauzer people familiar with show coats are in Nebraska (and up here in the Twin Cities, of course).
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SchnauzkyLVR Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm

hmm i have nothing further to add...but there is definitely are some great recommendations on here Smile
SchnauzkyLVR
SchnauzkyLVR

Back to top Go down

Post  Haus' n Chook Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi,

I understand that this is an old thread but I also love to know more about stripping. My minis has clipped last three years but I really love to keep his coat wiry and dark. Some of schnauzer owners use Mars Coat king but I am not so sure what no i need to use and what result I will get. Can someone help me? If it is helpful I can also add some photos of my minis. Thanks

Haus' n Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm

See the poster above, MS Britmor? Click onto her website, there is lots of advice about stripping and some advice on coat kings.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Haus' n Chook Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:54 am

Yes Karen's info has been the bible for minis grooming. Perhaps I did not make it clear enough but I just want my minis coat to be resembled the stripped coat and kept wiry and darker a bit longer than being clipped. Karen's recommendation to Mars Coat King is somehow different from manufacturer's recommendation. That makes me hesitant to purchase them and try. Unlike us, in Aussie once we purchased we can not get them exchanged or refunded that easily unless the product is faulty and it is not that cheap (about $55) like most items.

Haus' n Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:01 am

As she says, different sizes suit different coat textures. If the dog is clipped and you use a coat king (which cuts the coat) you aren't going to encorage harsh coat, you need to strip to get that first.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Haus' n Chook Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:34 am

I am not sure if I want to tackle full stripping....after all Hausie is a pet...like anything as an owner I want to preserve what he was born with which is good wiry coat as much as I can. In saying that I do not have courage to hand strip him...
In your opinion, do you think clipping is better than using Mars Coat King in terms of keeping coat wiry?

Actually I have a second question, is there any reason you do not breed standard schnauzers? scratch

Haus' n Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 pm

I really don't think a coat king is any use. You'd be better to get a red Mikki stripping knife and use that to remove some of the undercoat - but really what you are asking for is 'to have your cake and eat it'

Actually I have a second question, is there any reason you do not breed standard schnauzers?

Yes, I don't own any Very Happy
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Haus' n Chook Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks Jo. You are right...even I do not do full stripping, it is best use the knife...I think I will order two and have a go.

Haus' n Chook

Back to top Go down

Post  riesenspass Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks for the great website about grooming!
The wet-raking. Is it a black/grey groomingstone that you are using or the white "thing?

riesenspass

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:55 pm

I find the grey lave rock is much better then the white for dry or wet, just be careful not to graze the skin.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:06 am

riesenspass wrote:Thanks for the great website about grooming!
The wet-raking. Is it a black/grey groomingstone that you are using or the white "thing?

Sorry for the delayed response, but I got tired of the spam on this site and left. I am now back... at least for awhile.

For the wet raking, I use a coarse grey grooming stone... the lava block. I now start all my rolled coats that way while the dog is soaped up in the tub. Do it once a week, and you should start to see some texture in a couple months.

I now have another favorite toy... the Love2Pet Grooming "Brush". It isn't really a brush, but one side has teeth similiar to the Furminator (but a bit longer) or a close clippper blade, and the other side is a very wide-tooth comb which has been useful here for getting out the numerous burrs this fall... or starting to roll a coat on a very hairy dog (by simply combing through the coat). When I am raking out a coat with the Love2Pet, I hold it down by the blade rather than the handle and rake at a very sharp angle. The thing pulls out coat/undercoat like you wouldn't believe!

I want my MS hand stripped, but he's been clipped previously Love2pet_brush
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutourdogs Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:57 am

I suggest you use oatmeal soap. This soap will help in returning the natural colors of the coat of your giant schnauzer.
allaboutourdogs
allaboutourdogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down