Schnauzer Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Epilepsy in miniatures

4 posters

Go down

Epilepsy in miniatures Empty Epilepsy in miniatures

Post  PiedPiper Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:03 am

My little one has started having epileptic seizures. In order to find out more I've been looking all over for information, but I don't find a lot about epilepsy and miniature schnauzers. Does anyone know how common this is (I haven't heard about it before I experienced it myself)? Any information would be welcome..
PiedPiper
PiedPiper

Back to top Go down

Epilepsy in miniatures Empty Re: Epilepsy in miniatures

Post  MsBritmor Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:07 pm

First, have your dog's thyroid levels checked. Hypothyroidism is one cause for seizures, as is selenium deficiency. Next, put him on a grain-free diet. One doctor feels that seizures are caused by gluten intolerance. Epilepsy and Diet

Good luck!
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:12 pm

One person I know has had some sucess with feeding 3x daily at very regular times to keep the dogs blood sugar levels steady.

Also avoid food with Rosemary as a preservative, as this can trigger seisures.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  PiedPiper Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:25 pm

Her fits are related to stress, and only appears when entering a room of which she's not 100% familiar with (never at home). The vet suspects this to be related to her poor eyesight, as she's got chataract and PPM. She doesn't feel safe and therefore becomes stressed and the fit appears.
PiedPiper
PiedPiper

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutourdogs Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:33 am

My friend's giant schnauzer has seizures these past weeks. I suspect the dog also has epilepsy.
allaboutourdogs
allaboutourdogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down