Dangerous Holiday Plants to our Pets

Go down

Dangerous Holiday Plants to our Pets Empty Dangerous Holiday Plants to our Pets

Post  SchnauzkyLVR on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:22 pm

Good information to know this time of year!


Poinsettia Plant
Many people associate the Poinsettia plant with extreme toxicity, but this is not entirely true. In fact, it is almost an urban legend, dating back to 1919, according to Snopes. The sap of Poinsettias is considered to be mildly toxic/irritating, and will probably cause nausea or vomiting, but not death. It is better to err on the side of caution, though, and keep pets away from this plant.

Mistletoe and Holly
A couple of holiday plants, specifically Mistletoe and Holly, are considered to be moderately to severely toxic, and you should call your veterinarian or poison control center immediately for specific advice.

Lilies and Daffodils
Additionally, plant bulb kits featuring Amaryllis and other plants in the lily family, Narcissus and other plants in the daffodil family, are popular gift items at this time of year. Pet owners should be aware that these plants are toxic to pets, sometimes with severe symptoms of gastrointestinal signs, cardiac arrhythmias, and tremors and convulsions.

Christmas Tree
Don't forget about the Christmas tree. Christmas trees are considered to be mildly toxic. The fir tree oils can irritating to the mouth and stomach, causing excessive drooling or vomiting. The tree needles are not easily digested either; possibly causing GI irritation, vomiting, gastrointestinal obstruction or puncture. As noted earlier, the amount of trouble depends on how much is consumed. Many times, pets don't consume mass quantities of tree material.

Common Clinical Signs Seen
Signs most commonly seen with toxic plant ingestion relate to the gastrointestinal tract: vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and sometimes excessive salivation (drooling). In some cases, such as holly berry ingestion, tremors or seizures may be seen, followed by coma and death.

Stay Safe - Watch Your Plants and Your Pets
Monitor your pet's interest in the plants. To be 100% safe, do not bring toxic live plants into your home. If unsure about a plant, look it up to check toxicity. Monitor your pet's interest in eating plants, and place plants out of reach. Check the plants for any signs of chewing or missing leaves. If unsure, plastic plants are an option (with care taken not to let those get ingested, either!).


Back to top Go down

Dangerous Holiday Plants to our Pets Empty Re: Dangerous Holiday Plants to our Pets

Post  allaboutourdogs on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:23 am

Can I do first aid such as inducing vomiting if my dog ingested something toxic to her? Thank you for the list of dangerous plants.

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum