Schnauzer Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malabsorbtion B12 & Iron.

3 posters

Go down

Malabsorbtion B12 & Iron. Empty Malabsorbtion B12 & Iron.

Post  rose Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:18 am

Hi all.
My Giant Female who is a pepper & salt has just been diagnosed with the above. It all started earlier this week when she had a petite mal seizure. We rushed her to the vets and tested her for everything. This malabsorbtion was the conclusion from her blood results. Six will be six years old next week and has never been ill ever before. There has never been any signs of anything being wrong with her what so ever, and we were just in the process of looking for a stud dog for her. Thats out of the window now.
The vet has given her a syrup of ferro sanol B, which she is having daily and will be re blood tested in one month to see if this has improved her bloods count.
Has anyone here any experience with this condition? or any advice they could give me please?
Thanks in advance.

rose

Back to top Go down

Malabsorbtion B12 & Iron. Empty Re: Malabsorbtion B12 & Iron.

Post  MsBritmor Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 pm

A simple search turned up these two sites:

http://www.showdog-magazine.com/medical/b12.htm

http://www.vetinfo.com/b12-vitamin-for-dogs.html
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Malabsorbtion B12 & Iron. Empty thanks

Post  rose Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:55 am

Hi Thanks for that, i have been online for a few days looking at what i can do to help her.
My thoughts have been why she hasn't shown any signs of this up until now, she is six next week and it appears that normally this would be seen in puppies at between 4-6 weeks of age. She always has been a picky eater and i can remember asking my vet to weight her when she was younger and visiting him for routine stuff. She always looked on the lean side but was never underweight. She isn't just fed a basic diet either. She has a complete dry diet, with either 1/2 tin of dog food/ home cooked chicken & veg/ tuna/ cheese/ beef mince ect ect so she has a very balanced diet. The vet did say this doesn't make much difference because she can't benefit from the vitamins b12 and iron because of the condition. I am wondering if all these years i have just kept it at bay because she has a good diet? She is fine in herself but i think i may need to make a few life style changes with her. She has always been very active and loves to go off up the mountians on hunting days, just for the run around. I just don't understand why i haven't seen this coming.

If anyone else here is dealing with or has had a dog with this condition i would love to hear from you.

rose

Back to top Go down

Post  allaboutourdogs Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:38 am

You may try supplementing the dog with Vitamin C. This will help in the absorption of iron.
allaboutourdogs
allaboutourdogs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum