Schnauzer Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there anything that can be done for.....

+6
MsBritmor
Elis
D'el casa di Vita
snasapjasa
Randi's Ushabti
Ilovemydog
10 posters

Go down

Is there anything that can be done for..... Empty Is there anything that can be done for.....

Post  Ilovemydog Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:20 pm

red staining in beards??? I have tried whitening shampoo, washing up liquid, tear stain remover and a special soap for wool but to no avail. I do NOT want to use bleach or dye to remove this. Here is a photo of my Eva Maria:

Is there anything that can be done for..... 5065_1174891245231_1016563972_30557779_2811811_n

I have noticed that a lot of Schnauzers have red staining in their beards, but also a few that do not. This puzzles me and I am wondering if there is anything that can be done to remove it or prevent it from happening? Any advice?
Ilovemydog
Ilovemydog

Back to top Go down

Is there anything that can be done for..... Empty Re: Is there anything that can be done for.....

Post  Gast Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:52 pm

I would avoid feeding out of tins or to much fresh coloring food, like sauces, eggs, oily things and dry food with water. My dogs never had this problems of coloring, when they got dry food. I also made the experience, that giving things to chew has no consequences on colour, nor on length of beards.
My dogs always have the possibility to play or to chew some stuff.
Removing is not possible without bleaching, in a different way I do not know how to manage.

[url=Is there anything that can be done for..... Img00710]

Gast

Back to top Go down

Is there anything that can be done for..... Empty Re: Is there anything that can be done for.....

Post  Ilovemydog Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Hmm, I don't give any food with colourings, only fresh food and dryfood. Their bones and toys do not have colouring in them either.

I have heard a few theories on this issue, some have told me this is due to yeast in their saliva, others told me it is caused by oxidation of the beard due to it being wet and the sun light oxidises it. I don't know, I have tried to keep their beards dry, use a towel on them each time they drink etc.....even though I will not go so far as to blow dry their beards many times a day ! Surprised

But if anyone knows of a good solution to this problem I would be very grateful. If it is a secret you could send me a private message and I will not tell if you don't want me to Wink Dont tell
Ilovemydog
Ilovemydog

Back to top Go down

Post  Randi's Ushabti Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:06 pm

Is there anything that can be done for..... Image107_0
Drinking of a bottle can help
Randi's Ushabti
Randi's Ushabti

Back to top Go down

Post  Gast Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:41 pm

so, if it´s causes by oxidation , sunlight or water, so every dogs should have this coloring. I neither use any towel, when my dog is drinking nor keep my dogs in a dark room Wink
I had coloring only because of fresh food or dry food mixed with water, so they do not get it everyday, maybe once a week and then I wash the beard with water. So I am sorry, but I do not have any different tip.
Here the same dog! with colored beard, caused by food.
[url=Is there anything that can be done for..... Babybo10]

Gast

Back to top Go down

Post  snasapjasa Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Im glad that i have a black schnauzer, nobody can see how dirty he realy is happy happy
snasapjasa
snasapjasa

Back to top Go down

Post  D'el casa di Vita Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:17 pm

snasapjasa wrote:Im glad that i have a black schnauzer, nobody can see how dirty he realy is happy happy

Yeah,me too Smile
D'el casa di Vita
D'el casa di Vita

Back to top Go down

Post  Randi's Ushabti Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:31 pm

snasapjasa wrote:Im glad that i have a black schnauzer, nobody can see how dirty he realy is happy happy
until you put them in bath happy happy
Randi's Ushabti
Randi's Ushabti

Back to top Go down

Post  Elis Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Randi's Ushabti wrote:
until you put them in bath happy happy

exactly... yuck!
Elis
Elis

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:16 pm

snasapjasa wrote:Im glad that i have a black schnauzer, nobody can see how dirty he really is

Until you touch him or get your nose near him! EEEUUUUWWW! When I went to work on Cruise's coat two weeks ago, I simply HAD to throw him in the tub he was so filthy. What a difference a little soap and water made<G> We live on sand here, and have been having a drought. The dust that gets in those coats is amazing.

As to beard staining, if it isn't caused by dyes in the food, it is usually caused by the pH of the dog's saliva (and pH *can* be affected by different types/brands of food). BUT the primary reason for the pH change is often dirty teeth. I find that teeth usually have to be cleaned twice a year. Here I scale my dogs' teeth with a double-edged tooth scaler. I do know that my dogs' teeth need cleaning more often since we moved out to the country and are now on well water rather than city water.

There are various products (and recipes) available for removing staining, but I haven't found anything that works yet. Now I have heard great claims for Eye Envy, but I haver never tried it myself.
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ilovemydog Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:19 am

Thank you guys for trying, I guess I'll have to live with it and forget about trying to reduce it or eliminate it. pfuj I still love her all the same Wink
Ilovemydog
Ilovemydog

Back to top Go down

Post  blacknwhite Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:45 am

i use an antacid tablet per day and it has certainly reduced the staining dramatically on my white dog.
blacknwhite
blacknwhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Ilovemydog Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:58 am

blacknwhite wrote:i use an antacid tablet per day and it has certainly reduced the staining dramatically on my white dog.

Ok, just a normal "over the counter" antacid available at chemists? Thank you for this information, I think I will try this Very Happy
Ilovemydog
Ilovemydog

Back to top Go down

Post  blacknwhite Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:50 pm

I dont know whether you will have similar brands where you are but i use a brand called Tums which are fruit flavoured antacid tablets because i was told dogs dont like mint flavoured things-although i can't say my dog is too keen on the fruit flavour but with a bit of ham or cheese to follow it doesnt take too much persuasion.
blacknwhite
blacknwhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:05 pm

blacknwhite wrote:I dont know whether you will have similar brands where you are but i use a brand called Tums which are fruit flavoured antacid tablets because i was told dogs dont like mint flavoured things-although i can't say my dog is too keen on the fruit flavour but with a bit of ham or cheese to follow it doesnt take too much persuasion.

Are you talking about this product?
Is there anything that can be done for..... V-tums

I find that acidophilus works wonders, acidophilus keeps the intestines clean, eliminates bad breath and kill any fungus from inside out. I think that red beard, redness under feets and sometimes in the genital area are from fungus, fungus that comes becouse this arias are often wet.

Esther

Back to top Go down

Post  blacknwhite Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:08 pm

Yes they are the brand i use. I has not completely got rid of the staining but certainly reduced it a great deal.
blacknwhite
blacknwhite

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:13 pm

I find that dogs do like mint flavours.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:10 pm

blacknwhite wrote:Yes they are the brand i use. I has not completely got rid of the staining but certainly reduced it a great deal.

And your sure its save for the dogs?

Esther

Back to top Go down

Post  blacknwhite Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:18 am

Jo wrote:I find that dogs do like mint flavours.
i was just told dogs dont like mint so thats why they say tums-maybe its not true, i am not sure. but my dog is not keen on either to be honest.
blacknwhite
blacknwhite

Back to top Go down

Post  blacknwhite Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:20 am

Esther wrote:
blacknwhite wrote:Yes they are the brand i use. I has not completely got rid of the staining but certainly reduced it a great deal.

And your sure its save for the dogs?

well i was concerned about the safety too but i have asked a few people who are fairly knowledgable in the breed and they said they were fine. so i bit the bullet and have given them a trial
blacknwhite
blacknwhite

Back to top Go down

Post  SchnauzkyLVR Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:03 pm

hmmm not sure how to get rid of it..my sister in law has a white one and her's is usually stained like that, but gets better when she washes her. My schnauzer is silver-salt 'n pepper color and his comes clean with some water.
SchnauzkyLVR
SchnauzkyLVR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum