Feeding puppies

Go down

Feeding puppies Empty Feeding puppies

Post  beatrice on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:42 am

I have a big litter , 7 puppies Very Happy

I've never had so many puppy in one litter.

I am interested in your experiences with "big" litters.

When you start a feed puppies, how you feed a female, do you give a female some vitamins...
Smile
beatrice
beatrice

Back to top Go down

Feeding puppies Empty Re: Feeding puppies

Post  Alberto on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Congratulations for the large litter! Smile

I normally feed the lactating bitch ad libitum (no matter what is the litter size); obviously the food must be a puppy/high energy food very rich in all nutrients. I noticed (and I had also feedbacks from many other breeders) that the ones who work best in this occasion are the high-protein ones.

I know of people who use vitamin+mineral complexes (such as Supradyn Roche) in large dogs during lactation but I think top-quality puppy foods are complete & balanced in all nutrients, so there is no real need of those pills - but sometimes they are more useful for the breeder's psychology... Very Happy
Alberto
Alberto

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:30 pm

I don't give any supplements at all, but I do give the bitch more food, the amount of which depends on the number of puppies whelped. I don't want the bitch to get fat if the litter isn't too large.

Many of my litters are 6-8 puppies, with my largest being 9. With nine puppies, I kept that bitch's bowl constantly full. She was eating six cups of food a day, needed more, but had absolutely no place to put any more food. I weaned that litter a bit earlier than I normally do, and all went well.

Feeding puppies 9pups1

Feeding puppies Sunny1
Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  des matins de cristal on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:09 pm

One time i have had 8 puppys. I gave 400 grs of puppy food to the mother and some cheese for "calcium". My vetenuary said if i can i could help the mother with one baby's bottle after the first week old of pups and only for help the mother !
The last year 7 pups and no help to the mother.
I began food puppy at the same age than a litter of 4 or 5 pups, (after 4 weeks old)
des matins de cristal
des matins de cristal

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:26 pm

A day or two after my litter of nine was whelped, our refrigerator died and we could not get another one in for two weeks. I was not able to supplement the puppies at all, and the dam raised them entirely by herself. When they were two weeks old, I had them licking strained chicken (Gerber baby food) off of a spoon, and I started weaning food the following week.

I never give supplements because whenever food is doubled, the dog is then getting twice as many vitamins, minerals, etc. as normal. At six cups of food a day, my bitch was getting 6 times as many vitamins, minerals (calcium), etc. more than normal.

Extra calcium during pregnancy may predispose a dog to uterine inertia (the bitch stops having contractions), and supplementing after delivery can predispose a bitch to eclampsia because too much calcium causes the body to not be able to absorb it.
http://classes.ansci.uiuc.edu/ansc438/Lactation/catsdogs.html

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/calcium_do_i_supplement.htm

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/feeding-pregnant-dogs.htm

Feeding puppies Sunny1
Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
-Author Unknown-
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  D'el casa di Vita on Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:52 am

I,also,don't give any supplements at all.
I give always puppy food to my females when they have puppy's,so must they want.....
And with 3 weeks I give my puppy's meat 4 times a day and later the puppy's eat more and more and the female ever eat less...( i hope this is the right words???)
So the milk is going away,and with 6 weeks the puppy's are,so good as get,of the milk.
And the puppy's eat 4 times dry food and meat.
And this I doing always if they have 1 puppy ore 9 puppy's,the female knows how many food she needs....
D'el casa di Vita
D'el casa di Vita

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down