Schnauzer Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dew Claws......

4 posters

Go down

Dew Claws...... Empty Dew Claws......

Post  Jo Thu May 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Hi

I am interested to hear peoples views on whether the dew claws (those ones on the side of the leg) should be removed when the puppies are born. Or do you think these claws should be left on? Does it depend on your countries laws or if you have the litter tails docked?
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Dew Claws...... Empty Re: Dew Claws......

Post  Safina Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi!
You know that Russian vets remove it at any age. If you want to show your dog on dog-shows, you must do it at the young age.
Safina
Safina

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor Thu May 28, 2009 7:44 pm

I remove mine when I do the tails. If they ever ban tail docking here, I don't know if I would still do the dewclaws or not. Thankfully, I no longer get dewclaws on the rear legs; I used to get those occasionally many years ago.

As a groomer, I hate having to cut dewclaw nails and then having to work around them when grooming the legs.
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Thu May 28, 2009 10:14 pm

Even though docking is now banned over here, I think most breeders here are still having the dew claws removed.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:20 pm

Its banned in Iceland, both for vets and also breeders. I got my first puppy with dew claws in a litter born few months ago, its was the first time i had puppies born with dew claws, ever.

Esther

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum