Schnauzer Page Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rolling Coat

+2
Jo
Alberto
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rolling Coat - Page 2 Empty Re: Rolling Coat

Post  Szende Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Thank you for your advice, I couldn't work on his head at all because it was clipped 3 weeks ago and all of the hair is the same (long). I couldn't pick out only the mature coat, it is very mixed with the undercoat. So I have to wait a few weeks more to strip his head. where is the line between the scull's short hair and the long one over his eyes?
Szende
Szende

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:05 pm

If you feel his head above his eyes, there is a notch or dip, you don't want to really go any further forward then that BUT with a b/s colour you still want to have white eyebrows, a slight 'dusting' of the b;lack over the top is OK but you want to be able to see the white brows as they give the face definition in this colour dog.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:35 am

Szende wrote:Thank you for your advice, I couldn't work on his head at all because it was clipped 3 weeks ago and all of the hair is the same (long). I couldn't pick out only the mature coat, it is very mixed with the undercoat. So I have to wait a few weeks more to strip his head. where is the line between the scull's short hair and the long one over his eyes?

Pull the head lightly with your stripping knife. Take like two pulls in one spot and then move to another. Do this once a week and you will soon have the head hair rolling.

Feel the skull above the eyes and find that bone which will be just about where the eyebrows start (color change). That is your line where the stripping stops and the eyebrows begin.
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Szende Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:02 pm

I will try to do my best, though he doesn't like the stripping knife, it was better for him to pull out hair by my hands...
Szende
Szende

Back to top Go down

Post  Cornish Rex Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:36 pm

As good as it gets I just say thanks good I am not for shows because I just shave my dogs 2 -3 times a year and they do not care at all...... Very Happy

Cornish Rex

Back to top Go down

Rolling Coat - Page 2 Empty some new xmas photos

Post  Szende Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:55 pm

Rolling Coat - Page 2 3143857828_f29b8e00f9

Rolling Coat - Page 2 3143848744_5879cecf7b

Something to say? ;)
Szende
Szende

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Difficult to see from a photo.

Have you stripped much from the upper arm? How far down the body/ribs have you stripped?

Did you strip the head or clip it?

I will leave comments on the 'style' for trimming as that seems to very much depend on which country you are showing in. He is starting to look grown up! Smile
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Szende Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:15 pm

This is actually just a half work, before the holidays I just put him in a good looking shape. I clipped his head and ears, though first I thought that I will strip that too, but the hair is too short and smooth there, it hurts for him and I couldn't really pull it out.If I want to strip it, I am sure I would have to take out everything, because there his coat didn't started to role. Now I stripped only his neck on the top, his chest is clipped and his tail also. His body was stripped one month ago, now I am waiting the new year with it and the weather the worm up a little bit. I can say that the first strip starts to give result, I can observe small harsh strong black fur on his body where I stripped him, but it isn't too much, if I take out the whole undercoat, he would stay with gaps of coat. I think with many stripping like this he will start to have a whole dens black coat and than I can take out the undercoat.
The upper arm is stripped in a straight line until his elbow(perhaps it seems too short on the front, because I had to put him in position and I couldn't brush his hair uniformly after it) and the body until the line between his elbow and his knee, maybe 0.5 cm higher.
I didn't consult anybody else from my country, I really don't want to go after what other breeders from here say. I spoke to You on this forum, with my breeder.

Have you stripped your puppies? Post some photos if you have.
Szende
Szende

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:59 pm

I have just started to strip one of the pups today and have only clipped the white bits on the cheeks, throat and bottom and also the inside of his ears, I want to strip out as much of the black as possible. Stripping the head will keep the colour better and it blends in better to the neck. I have spent the last few days stripping dogs, but priority has to go to the dogs who will be shown at Crufts and other shows before the pups are old enough to go into the ring.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  Szende Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:20 am

I see... I am looking forward very curiously to see your puppies when finished.
Our first show will be on 28.03, when do you think that I should do his last stripping before it? Or maybe if I do a little weekly as hoping to achieve rolling coat than this shouldn't be a problem. What if I let his coat to grow on his head and ears till first of march, than strip it, and wait the new coat till the end of the month? I am afraid that he will have many gaps in his coat.
When will be the Cruft's? Asking only because I try to measure the time those dogs need to grow the new coat till the show.
Szende
Szende

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:20 pm

I usually like to leave about 12 weeks if the coat is being taken right out, if I am stripping the coat out in sections, then I want to have finished it by about 8 - 10 weeks before the show.

Crufts is the 6th March for Minis, I haven't taken my male right out as he was already in a rolled coat, so I have just taken him really short. He does grow coat fast. Some dogs can be much slower to grow coat.

the pups first show is the same weekend, once their coat comes in, I will just be pulling out the longer bits and starting to shape it more, ie. keeping it shorter at the side of the neck, shoulders and the back section of the hind leg, the areas where they are going into shorter hair/clipped areas.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Szende wrote:
Our first show will be on 28.03, when do you think that I should do his last stripping before it? Or maybe if I do a little weekly as hoping to achieve rolling coat than this shouldn't be a problem. What if I let his coat to grow on his head and ears till first of march, than strip it, and wait the new coat till the end of the month?

You must decide if you want to strip or roll the coat; you cannot go back and forth from one method to the other successfully. It takes four weeks for pulled hair to begin to break through the skin, so any (final) pulling you do must be done *at least* eight weeks (or up to 12 weeks) before a show. This does not apply if you are continuously rolling the entire coat once a week.

Puppies usually grow coat faster than they do as adults.
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Szende Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:05 pm

I describe what I can see and what I do with my puppy: First I puppy-stripped him 1 month ago, his new coat broke out aftre 3 weeks, it has now almost half cm lenght. I didn't strip him weekly, because the coat didn't come out easily, I thought that it wasn't matur enaugh for it. Now I can see that he has a longer coat, in which there is thin silky undercoat mixed with harsh fur. These longer ones come out easily now, and there remains a short silky undercoat and the new harsh coat.
So, if I pull out now the longer coat, probably I can repeat it after 3 weeks again, and continue like this till the show. I think this is half rolling coat, so probably I should do it weekly, to obtain the proper result. Purhaps until the show he will have dens harsh coat and I can take out the undercoat.

I can only see, that harsh coat doesn't cover the whole body yet.What is the proper lenght for the coat to be on show day?
Szende
Szende

Back to top Go down

Post  MsBritmor Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:58 am

Szende wrote:What is the proper lenght for the coat to be on show day?

That really depends on the dog and if there are any faults to hide. The hair is never the same length over the entire dog as there will be some areas one would want the hair a bit longer and some a bit shorter. Generally speaking, I keep a rolled coat about 3/4" to one inch long over most of the jacket. I think that would be 1.905 centimeter to 2.54 centimeter, if my conversion is correct.
MsBritmor
MsBritmor
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Szende Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:42 am

Thank you very much for your advice, I am very greatful. :)
Szende
Szende

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2